It always a great idea to think about ways to be safe if you are in a dangerous or potentially dangerous relationship. Here are some tips to design your own safety plan.
Before going on a date:
- Keep spare cash/change, credit cards or keys on you at all times.
- Make sure you have a designated emergency contact that you can contact should you be in danger. Make sure they are aware of your plans prior to the date.
- If you were to get stranded, who would you call for a ride home?
- Where could you go quickly if you needed to get away from an abusive partner?
After a break up:
- Use the buddy system for classes, after school activities or when going to/from school.
- Change your phone number.
- Change your school locker or lock.
- Consider changing the route you take to and from school.
- If abuse occurred, file for a restraining order and keep the copy with you at all times.