5.18.12 Dating Safety Tips
Dating Safety Tips
- Before agreeing or leaving for a date, know the exact plans for the evening. Be sure to tell a parent or friend about the plans and when you should be expected home.
- Check in at a designated time with your parent or friend if requested, and notify that person if your plans change.
- If you meet new someone at a party and would like to go somewhere after with them, make sure you tell another friend you are leaving and with who. Check in with a friend or have them call you to make sure you got home safely.
- If you are meeting people that you don’t know and are engaging in drinking or other drugs, be aware of how they will reduce your judgment and affect you ability to react appropriately.
- If you are going out with a new person, consider double-dating to get to know the person until you feel comfortable to go on dates alone.
- Express and assert yourself in a firm and straightforward way when necessary with your date.
- Trust your instincts. If a situation makes you uncomfortable, think about how you should respond calmly and rationally.